Thursday, September 6, 2012

The Extraordinary Life of Inanimate Objects


In 1997 I was working a construction job re-enforcing foundations, which requires a lot of digging. Six feet down I found this Crush bottle from 1957 (it says so right on the back).

My guess is it had been part of the landfill for the building back in the 50’s, because not only did I find the Crush bottle, but plates, cups, smoking pipes, and various eating utensils. Was Mel’s Diner buried down there?

I also found a human Femur bone, but that’s another story.

Anyway, I rescued the thing, and have kept it ever since. I often hold it in my hand and wonder who drank from it and then discarded it only to buried in the foundation of a building for 40 years so I could dig it up and look at it.

And so, little Crush bottle, you’re back in the sunlight. By the way, what flavor were you? (It doesn’t say).









No comments:

Post a Comment